At Dbperfection, we have witnessed a number of clients facing the problem of having duplicate records in their systems. However, the fact of the matter is that this problem is so mainstream and usual that even the databases which are effectively and efficiently managed also have some duplicate records. These duplicate records are considered to be very difficult to avoid and there are a number of reasons for this:
- The members of a company or an organization use multiple emails. Consequently, new records can be created which are not detected by the system as duplicate ones.
- Multiple names are used by the members, which also include nicknames.
- The members have similar names and can move. For instance, when there are two James Smith in a company or from different companies.
Firstly, it is important to accept that these duplicate records can not be completely eliminated. However, there are a number of things that can be done which would minimize the number of duplicate records in a system.
- Corporations can ensure that their technology has the important duplicate-detention functionality which is both on the customer side and the staff side. The systems should be designed in a manner that they must be checking for email addresses which are duplicate, and even more than that.
- The various data integrity reports should be implemented, which are known for checking the potential duplicate records.
- The staff should be trained in a proper fashion so that they can enter accurate data, this will enable them to distinguish and clarify if an individual is already existing in a database or not.
Hence, we can say that duplicate records are considered as a fact of the database life. Although we cannot eliminate it completely, but be sure to have some measures, procedures and tools used to minimize these duplicate records.